Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Bar Exam Tests
Bar Examination Tests
- Bar admission requirements are promulgated by each state. The most common testing configuration consists of a two-day bar examination. One day of testing is devoted to the Multistate Bar Examination (MBE) and the second day is typically comprised of essays from a broad range of subject areas prepared by the board of bar examiners of each state.
- The Multistate Bar Examination (MBE) is a standardized 200-item test covering six areas of the law (Constitutional Law, Contracts, Criminal Law, Evidence, Real Property, and Torts). The MBE is administered in all states except Washington and Louisiana.
- The Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE) is a fifty question, two-hour, multiple-choice exam separately administered three times a year. It is required in all states except Washington, Wisconsin and Maryland. On-line registration is available.
- The Multistate Performance Test (MPT) has also been adopted in several jurisdictions. It is three 90-minute skills questions covering legal analysis, fact analysis, problem solving, resolution of ethical dilemmas, organization and management of a lawyering task, and communication.
Bar Examination Questions and Answers
The following bar examination study aids are available for your use in the Legal Information Center:
- Annual Compilation of Bar Examination Questions & Answers. Essay questions and answers from selected states published twice a year. (KF303.I57)
- Delaware Bar Examinations. Delaware essay and professional conduct questions and answers. (KFD76.D4)
- Patent Agent's Exam. (KF3165.Z9 P38)
- Questions and Answers for Bar Examination. (KFP76.Q46)
- Sample MBE. Two hundred multiple choice questions and answers from past exams. (KF303.S25)